Have you recently suffered major setbacks to your SEO campaign due to the latest Google penguin algorithm update? If your traffic levels have plummeted and you’ve been hit hard on your SERP rankings you might be wondering where you’ve gone wrong and what you can do to fix things.
Here’s what may have happened:
- Google thought you were over-optimising. If your site is too keyword dense, this can lead to Google thinking you’re trying to cheat the system.
- Too much duplicate content. Did you think it was ok to copy product descriptions from your manufacturer’s site or to mirror part of one of your other websites? This could be hurting you.
- Google thinks you’re spamming. Be very careful about your approach going forward. If Google has looked at a number of your SEO attempts and thinks your approach is less than 100% ethical, it’s going to penalise you.
- Google thinks someone else is more relevant. It’s wise to look at who is now listed in the places you once dominated. Analysing their SEO strategy could help fill in some gaps for you on what you could be doing better.
- Keep in mind that if you’re reading this soon after the Penguin update, not everything has settled yet. Some quirky things have been reported as a result of this update and Google has been making some adjustments.
What should you do?
It’s prudent to deconstruct your marketing campaign and analyse it. All of it. Analysing each page’s keyword density, removing duplicate content, looking at linking strategies, and other SEO elements can all help you improve the pages in the eyes of Google and in the process it could help you improve the pages in the eyes of the customers and prospective customers who visit (after all, they’re the ones who matter most, right?). It could take a bit of time and effort but you can rise to the top again.
Need help dealing with penguin fall-out?
Here at Marketease we employ diverse SEO strategies that have helped us attain and retain the #1 position for terms like “SEO Adelaide“, “search engine optimisation Adelaide”, “SEO services Adelaide”, “Adelaide SEO company”, “Adelaide SEO services”, “SEO company in Adelaide”, and many other related terms.
Do you need help recovering from the Google penguin update? Call us on 1300 662 990 for a free consultation.